|Meat and poultry||chickengrass-fed beeforgan meatsporkturkeyvenison||breaded meatsprocessed meats||baconlow fat meat, such as skinless chicken breast|
|Dairy||buttercreamfull fat cheeses, including Cheddar, goat cheese, and mozzarellafull fat yogurt||ice-creammilknonfat yogurtsweetened yogurt|
|Fish||herringmackerelwild salmon||breaded fish|
|Eggs||whole eggs (pastured and organic when possible)|
|Nuts and seeds||macadamia nuts pecans almonds chia seeds flax seeds peanuts pumpkin seeds walnuts unsweetened nut butters||chocolate-covered nuts sweetened nut butters cashews|
|Oils and fats||avocadoscoconut productsfruit and nut oils, such as avocado, coconut, olive, and sesameolives||margarineshorteningvegetable oils, including canola and corn oil|
|Vegetables||asparagusbroccolicaulifloweronionsceleryeggplantleafy greensmushroomstomatoespeppersother nonstarchy vegetables||butternut squash corn potatoes sweet potatoes pumpkin other starchy vegetables|
|Fruits||bananas citrus fruits dried fruits grapes pineapple||berries|
|Beans and legumes||all beans chickpeas lentils|
|Condiments||herbs and spiceslemon juicemayonnaise with no added sugarsalt and peppervinegarsalad dressings with no added sugar||barbecue sauceketchupmaple syrupsalad dressings with added sugarsweet dipping sauces|
|Grains and grain products||baked goodsbreadbreakfast cerealscrackersoatspastaricewheat|
|Beverages||almond or flax milkbone brothunsweetened teas and coffeeswater (still or sparkling)||beerfruit juicesodasports drinkssugary alcoholic drinkssweetened tea||low carb alcoholic drinks, such as vodka|
|Others||artificial sweetenerscandycoconut sugarfast foodprocessed foodssugar|
The following tips may help people stick to the keto diet:
- Set a start date.
- Reorganize the pantry and refrigerator so that they do not contain high carbohydrate foods.
- Make a weekly meal plan. This is key to eating balanced meals and preventing hunger.
- Stock up on keto-friendly foods and beverages.
- Read product labels carefully and check the ingredients list and carb content of each item.
- Prepare meals ahead of time and freeze or refrigerate them in batches.
- If hunger pangs occur regularly, try eating five or six small meals, instead of three large ones.
- To avoid “keto flu” in the early stages, drink plenty of fluids and supplement with electrolytes.
- Consider taking to fill in nutritional gaps while following this diet.
- Consider temporarily reducing physical activity during the first week or two, while the body adjusts to the new diet.
- Discuss any queries or concerns with a doctor or dietitian.
The keto diet is a high fat, moderate protein, and low carbohydrate diet.
People following it should aim to consume under 50 g of total carbs each day. Meals tend to consist primarily of animal proteins and plant and animal fats with nonstarchy vegetables.
It is important to plan meals on the keto diet in order to adhere to the correct macronutrient ratios, meet fiber goals, and prevent hunger. It can also be helpful to work with a doctor or dietitian to ensure that nutritional deficiencies do not occur.